Friday, December 21, 2012

Kastoria, Greece


SEPTEMBER 19, 2012

The town of Kastoria lies in northwest Greece and would be the launching point for our journey to locate the tiny abandoned villages my grandparents were raised in. 

Kastoria is a really a neat town.  Geographically it has all the requisite characteristics I seek out – foothills of the mountains, surrounding a lake, warm days, cool nights, long growing season. 

Our accommodations that night are likely never to be outdone.  Hotel Chloi is owned by the widow of the architect who designed it.  Needless to say it was beautiful.  The service was also what you would expect from a family run business and despite being a huge hotel they treated every guest like they were running a small B & B.  Each morning they brought me a huge plate of fruit, knowing that I didn’t eat the dozen other things offered in the buffet.  How sweet is that?


Although little time was spent in Katoria proper, I really enjoyed it and saw a mix of old world rural living and those making it happen in the modern part of the small city/big town.

That night, my mom really enjoyed her chance to speak with the owner about life in the area.  And – this is big – they actually knew how to direct us to the old villages that my grandparents grew up in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment