Monday, December 31, 2012

8 Mile to Syntagma Square


SEPTEMBER 26, 2012

"Police spokesman Panagiotis Papapetropoulos told CNN that some protesters had thrown Molotov cocktails in Syntagma Square, opposite the Greek parliament building in central Athens. Police responded with tear gas.  Live footage from the square as the trouble briefly flared showed smoke rising from burning tires, as police in riot gear faced hooded protesters lobbing petrol bombs." from CNN.com

As it turns out, I made the right call leaving Athens.  I was in Syntagma Square less than 24 hours before it got ugly.



Up north in Thessaloniki where I spent the night, there were still protests, although much more peaceful.  The protests were not lead by idealistic students, the radical <pick one: right/left>, or religious extremists.  They were lead by lawyers, public school teachers and hospital workers, including doctors fed up by the current state of politics and the (relatively) new tax structure.

Two days later at a Hostel in Skopje I would be recounting my story of leaving Athens in the nick of time.  Two other travelers there actually thought I made the wrong decision.  One was an Aussie photographer with an interest in disaster photography.  The other spoke calmly when he gave detailed instructions on how I could have blocked the effects of the tear gas’s crystalline structure by covering my mouth with a wet bandanna and keeping my eyes clear with either water or enclosed glasses, like swim goggles, both of which I carry with me.

Another Aussie asked the guy the question we were all wondering, “Where the fuck are you from that you know so much about surviving a tear gas attack?”

In a word, he answered, “Detroit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment