Sunday, December 30, 2012

Time to Go Solo


SEPTEMBER 24, 2012

"All right. Then get me an avocado, an ice pick and my snorkel.
Trust me, bro. I've made (more) with less." 
- from the movie Half Baked

After one final open water swim in the Aegean Sea, it was time to drop my parents off at the Athens airport and say farewell.  With a flight out of Slovenia four weeks from today, I knew I had options.  I just had no idea what they were.  The original plan was to bunker down in Athens for a night or two and do the planning that should have been done weeks ago.  However, with the call for a transit strike and various protests to occur in Athens tomorrow I knew it was time to GTFO and get as close to the Macedonian border as I could.  Trains directly to Macedonia were shut down and the internets told me nothing about bus service. It looked as if I needed to go to Sofia, Bulgaria tomorrow and then double back.  Not ideal, but I could make it work.  After all, I had a tooth brush, a pocket full of cash, an American Passport, and good running shoes.  Trust me man, I’ve done more with less.

No comments:

Post a Comment