Sunday, March 24, 2013

Concrete in Dubai, U.A.E.


MARCH 24, 2013

The souk (market) in Buraymi.

My baller hotel room
After leaving Sohar I headed to the border town of Burami on the Oman side, just across from Al Ain on the Unite Arab Emirates side.  Hotels in Al Ain were about three times as much as the ones in Burami, so you can guess where I stayed.  It was still, without question, my nicest accommodations in the six months I’ve been traveling.  And you know what?  I didn’t enjoy it.  My room had three showers and I would have traded two of them for a decent meal. 

When this adventure began I was traveling dirtbag style because of budget.  Now I think I’ve grow to actually like it.  Burami, Al Ain and my present location of Dubai have a lot to offer the European traveler, though I’ve enjoyed very little of it.  There’s no culture here.  Or, arguably, there’s too much culture here if you count every little shop and restaurant that tries to serve the food from a dozen different regions of the world and fails at all of them.
Look, concrete!







It’s also clear to me that I don’t belong in a big city.  This place has “only” 2 million people spread over 30 miles of shoreline, and it still seems stuffy to me.  The highlights of my visit included a lazy day on the beach and finding a little gritty dive restaurant serving Bangladesh food.  The rest I could have done without.  Many travelers I’ve met along the way seem to zip from one country to the next as if to check a box and say they’ve been there.  This is how my time in the Middle East has panned out.  I can say I’ve been here.  That’s about it.   
I see sea shells by the sea shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment