Thursday, March 28, 2013

Encore in Amsterdam, Netherlands

MARCH 25, 2013

"I'm gonna write you a letter
I'm gonna write you a book
I wanna see your reaction
I wanna see how it looks
From way up on your cloud
You're never coming down
Are you getting somewhere?
Or did you get lost in Amsterdam?"

- Amsterdam, by Guster









All packed.  Ready to go.  On my way to The States.  Almost.





When you’re traveling for business or need to get to your destination, you look for the shortest flight with little or no layovers.  When you have absolutely nowhere to be and plenty of time to get there the strategy is bit different and I managed to score eight hours of layover in Amsterdam.  It has been five years since I’ve been here and I forgot how much I absolutely love the vibe of this city.  It’s all bicycles and kittens.  Seriously.  I have the photos to prove it. 


Lemme get this straight - I can live on a boat AND have a garden AND be a bike commuter?
While on the street staring dumbfounded at a map, I met an amazing traveler.  Actually it was woman who has managed to pull of the travelers dream by landing a job abroad.  She too was on a layover, which was good for me.  Good because her layover was shorter than mine and up until this point I had the thought that trying to explore Amsterdam in eight hours may have been a bit crazy.  But now that I found someone else with the same plan, my stop seemed totally normal. We walked together back to the train station and on to the airport.  It was time for my journey to come to an end and to board that flight to Detroit. 

Much like going to Venice without riding a gondola or Nepal without trekking, I leave Amsterdam without getting stoned.  Life is to short for bothering with others’ expectations and interests.  I am comfortable with my own path.


                                        -  End, Chapter 5 of my life -

No comments:

Post a Comment