Saturday, March 23, 2013

Flight Layover in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emrites


MARCH 15, 2013

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

A.M.

This is not the first time I’ve set myself up for failure.  It’s just the worst.

The shoreline of Abu Dhabi in the morning fog.

OMG! How did they know?!  Oh... its in a travel mag.


The Masdar City taxis

Like any city of the future, there was a Caribou Coffee
Many times on my journey, my poor planning has led to some sketchy situations.  Getting off track in an industrial area of Italy, I was tracked by a couple of questionable characters.  Wandering into a local bar in Sarajevo, I was out numbered and outsized by a hundred drunken Bosnian men who weren’t too happy to see me.  And today, my lack of planning has led me to the worst of all environments for a guy like me – an upscale shopping mall in Abu Dhabi. 

In plotting my route back to the U.S. from Nepal, I ran into several logistics issues.  First, India does not allow reentry, blocking all land routes to the south.  Second, China closed the border to Tibet, blocking all land and air routes to the north.  Third, one of my crisp U.S. dollar bills required for my Nepalese visa was ripped and declined at the border, giving me only enough cash for a 15 day visa and not the 30 day as originally intended.  With limited time, and limited flight options, I chose to visit the Middle East on my way home.  This too was tricky and many of the countries that have open borders, like Syria and Lebanon, are not the safest to visit, and others, like Israel had no cheap flight options.  In the end, I booked a flight from Kathmandu, Nepal to Muscat, Oman with a one day layover in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.  From Oman I’ll drive to Dubai, U.A.E. and fly to the U.S.  Got it?  Great. 

It’s 10:00 am on a Friday.  Friday is a Muslim holiday.  90% of this city is closed to tourists, including, unironically, all the beautiful mosques I want to visit.  In my mind, this trip to the Middle East would be a continuation of the wonderful experience I had in Amman, Jordan this past December.  There would be lots street vendors, wonderful hummus and authentic Arab food.  Instead, stuck in the only place that’s open – a shopping mall.  I’ve got the droning beat of mall techno music and the smell of leather.  Outside is the most wealth I’ve ever seen.  Luxury SUVs are the norm and even my taxi was pimped out nicer than any car I’ll ever own.  This is hell. 

P.M.

The Grand Mosque
I rallied and saved this day.  After leaving the mall I caught a cab to Masdar City.  The futuristic city located inside Abu Dhabi.  It was futuristic alright.  In addition to every kind of alternative energy you’ve ever heard of, I got to ride in an electric taxi with no driver.  It was like The Jetsons.

From there I found a little corner of the city where everything wasn’t bright and shiny and rich.  It was a little café where I could once again hang with the locals and eat ethnic food with my hands.  It was nice to finally see “real” people too. 

After that I went to the Grand Mosque.  Pictures do not do this place justice.  It makes The Taj Mahal look impoverished.  Like everything else in this city, no expense was spared. 





Wow.  Not bad for layover, eh.  Beats Chicago O'Hare  I need sleep.

1 comment:

  1. When you entered the mosque, you will really be awed and amazed at the grandness of it. It really is amazing just to be in there.

    Bloom Gardens

    ReplyDelete