Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Week in Amarillo, Texas


"I ain't rich, but lord I'm free.
Amarillo by morning, 
Amarillo's where I'll be."
  - George Straight
-
Palo Duro Canyon State Park, near Amarillo, TX
-->
NOVEMBER 12, 2012

I go hiking and biking with the wives....
On the road, some places are known as “traveler traps” as they have the tendency to draw people in for much longer than expected.  You show up for a long weekend and leave a year later.  Coastal towns like Goa, India and islands like Oios, Greece fit the bill, where the weather is perfect, the living is cheap, and the laws are loose.  Amarillo is not exactly know for being one of those traveler traps.  Yet, I had such and amazing time hanging out with great people that I thought for more than one moment that I might not make it out.

...and back at the shop the guys work on my car.  Perfect.
What day is it?  How long have I been here?  Almost week ago I arrived in Amarillo to spend a day or two with my friend Dan – a spiritual cowboy and younger less groomed version of The World’s Most Interesting Man. Time spent with Dan is always a wild card.  You might learn to operate heavy machinery or sit in meditation, you might end up at a drum circle or a hunting camp, you might be up until the sunrise blind drunk on his moonshine or up until sunrise discussing philosophy.  You never really know.  After a week here, I got to check all those boxes and then some.

Midnight.  Drunk.  Doing calculus.






Alcohol may have been involved.
Repeat.  Alcohol may have been involved.





No comments:

Post a Comment