Monday, February 4, 2013

Indian Food Truck Stop in San Jon, New Mexico


NOVEMBER 13, 2012

As I barreled out of the state of Texas on my way to wherever it is I am going, there was a truck stop on the New Mexico side of the border advertising Indian food.  As I type this now, a full week after this experience and my time in Vegas (yes, Vegas. it’s called foreshadowing and you’ll have to wait for the story to play out) I am still in awe that the world conspired to make this happen.  But it did.  Although the only proof I have is this yelp link to the truck stop http://www.yelp.com/biz/taste-of-india-san-jon       So I roll into the truck stop at like 11 in the morning, as if anyone really needs to eat Indian food at 11 in the morning.  But I was intrigued enough to check it out.

After a solid ten minutes of loitering in the spice isle – because why wouldn’t there be a really amazing section at the truck stop dedicated to spices? – I went up to the counter to get some samosas from the glass case that would otherwise have house hot dogs and other crap food at any other gas station.  Ahead of me was a woman desperately trying to communicate with the woman behind the counter to try to figure out if the wraps were vegetarian.  Normally I would just bug out of this situation for no other reason than trying to communicate with an attractive young female is impossible for a scruffy guy like me.  I’m not sure if it is the hair or the beard or if I just exude some kind of rapey vibe, but I’ve just learned my lesson – don’t even bother.  For whatever reason I joined in on the comedy of the situation between the poor vegetarian customer and the woman behind the counter who’s amazing culinary skills were offset by her poor command of the English language. 

I’m a little unclear what happen over the next five minutes.  Somehow the woman in line in front of me not only acknowledged me, but actually spoke to me and insisted on buying my Indian blunch and let me walk her out to her car and meet Zax, her four-legged traveling buddy. Inside of ten minutes I had made a better connection with Kirsten (she has a name too!) than I had with scores of other travels met at other venues more social than a truck stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment