Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Earthships in Taos, New Mexico


NOVEMBER 15, 2012

Falling cattle.  Looks dangerous.
My mom likes to read and forward Top lists online and forward them to me, especially when they are about cities, like “The Top 10 Cities for Cyclists” or “The Best Small Towns for Outdoor Lovers” or, well, you get the point.  Several years ago one of these lists linked to a questionnaire that would direct you to your dream towns just by answering a few questions.  I took that quiz.  Berea, Kentucky and Taos, New Mexico where were only two that I was not already familiar with.  I’ve since been to Berea and have no plans to return.  Today, I’m in Taos. 

Its not the first time I’ve done this and you’d think I’d learn my lesson by now.  The storyline goes like this:  I roll into a desert town with latitude somewhere in the neighborhood of 32 to 37 thinking it must be warm year round, neglecting to recognize that deserts don’t retain heat like the three high-humidity states I’ve called home and also totally miss the fact I’ve somehow climbed my happy little Subaru to 7,000 feet.  My first night was spent freezing my bag off in my three season tent in Cimarron Canyon as temps dropped to 16 degrees.  Should have taken the hint when I was the only person making camp at a location that could easily hosted 200 families.  Now I’m staying in the worlds grossest hostel.  Can’t wait to get back outside and freeze again.




My sleeping situation may not have been the best, but the city of Taos was amazing.  In a town of only 16,000 residents they somehow support three breweries that also serve as music venues.  How sweet is that?  At brewery number one my first night (forget the actual name) I sat down between a roadie and a mountain biker.  The bartender worked as a bike mechanic in the summer.  Perfect.  I left there with an amazing route for the next day. 

On that route I rode past a large earthship community.  Later that night, at brewery number two, I would learn that it is the biggest community of its kind. (as a point of reference, they are homes made of reclaimed materials like car tires and beer cans and before you say “weird” and visualize some hippie slum go to Google Images right now and type “Taos earthships”)  The conversation started simple enough.  A guy wanted to know about my MacBook Air.   In the next 20 minutes I learned some really fascinating stuff.  The brewery serves as the unofficial hub and hangout to some of the most well-respected earthship designers, architects, and builders in the world.  By chance, the same guy has served as a volunteer support person to some of the top names in Ultraman racing. 

Taos was amazing.  But after being woken up at 2, 3, and 4 a.m. I decided that I would beat feet at 4:30 a.m. and head onward.  Vegas baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment