Friday, February 1, 2013

Election Night in Austin, TX


NOVEMBER 6, 2012


Election night.  Never before have I been so disinterested in the political landscape of our nation.  I remember being glued to the tv during elections past.  The Bush v Gore election fiasco was one of those “I remember where I was” type of moments that are so few and far between for my generation.  This election seemed like a far away concept to me and one could not possibly care less about.  After seeing the protests in Greece, the shelled buildings in Bosnia, and hearing the war stories from the former Yugoslavia, which individual would lead our gridlocked nation seemed hopelessly irrelevant to me.

The toughest part about being a 6ft8 pizza maker is that you're limited to buying homes with 13 ft ceilings
It was my second and final night in Austin, Texas.  Six years prior I sat at a sushi bar with Anne and Jason drinking from a bottomless glass of sake before heading out on Sixth St until the early morning.  Times have changed for us all.  They now have six month old twins and while I lack any real excuse, I was pretty happy to be in bed, sober, before ten o’clock last night.

Tonight I’m at Martin’s house.  Fortunately, his political views are about as apathetic as mine and we were able to focus on more important things, like homemade pizza and wine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment