Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Stranded, somewhere, CA


DECEMBER 8, 2012

There are a number of ways to start of a really good horror film set in nature.  One plot line goes like this:  Midwestern boy drives to remote campsite in the high desert of Southern California.  Car battery immediately dies.  A wild German Sheppard wanders through camp (no, really, I swear it wasn’t my mind talking me out of having another coyote around).  And that was world I was living in. 

My office for the day.
Santa cacti.
Instead of getting eaten alive by the animals or killed by the locals, it was actually a local who saved me, and, in process, remind me what a shallow judgmental bastard I am.  The night prior I noticed a sign at the registration board that someone hand wrote advertising fire wood delivery.  Let’s just say that they misspelled some pretty basic stuff and I took a picture thinking I would post it here with some really witty comments making fun.  Well, waking my second of three days spent at this site, the only hope I had up at elevation was this little clump of about 25 homes located a mile from where I was.  I waited until 9 am then walked to the tiny neighborhood. Sure enough, a woman was in her front yard, listened to my plea for help, and called a neighbor to give me a jump, telling me, “If you could throw him five bucks for the effort it would mean a lot to him.  He's a father of two kids and really struggling.”  The kid was in his late twenties I’m guessing.  He drove me back to my car and had all the patience in the world in jumping my car.  During our conversation I find out that he had serious accident, is suffering from brain damage, and has some kind of non-life threatening blood clot in his brain that prevents him from holding a real job.  So he sells firewood.  I’m such an a$$h0le. 



Car issues settled, I went out for a ride.  It was another one of those hilly rides that can’t be simulated in the Midwest.  For the first time in a while I not only had big hills, but good dry pavement to hit them on.  Though I am no speed junkie, it is a pretty cool experience to keep up with the vehicle traffic going 35 miles per hour through switchbacks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment