Monday, January 21, 2013

Hari Krishna Kirtan in Sarajevo, Bosnia


OCTOBER 14, 2012

“Oh my God!  You will starve here!”   
- Irma, my friend and guide, upon hearing that I was a vegetarian in Bosnia

Another “coincident” relating my study of the Gita came later in the day.

The weather turned foul last night with temperatures falling and rain coming down in sheets.  This morning was still chilly and wet, though the rain subsided long enough for me to log my Sunday long run.  Though I have referenced it very little, this trip has turned transitioned me from triathlete to runner based on sheer lack of bike availability.  My route planning for runs has been just as lax as the rest of the logistics planning and I found myself running painfully steep hills above the city.  The run lasted only 70 minutes but completely broke me for the rest of the day.  There would be little sight seeing beyond the 500 meter radius surrounding my hostel.  Fortunately, there were other options.
 
The night before, I checked out the couple bars my guide recommended.  I’m sure they would have been wonderful had I stuck around longer.  But I can get drunk, be ignored by beautiful women, and have smoke blown in my face by over-collogned douchebags anywhere in the world and didn’t feel the need to have that be part of my Bosnia experience.  Out on the street, there was live drumming somewhere near by.  Despite my tinnitus from years of concerts, it is one unmistakable sound I seem to be able to pick out of a backdrop of city noise.  The drumming was coming from a three-piece Hari Krishna band that included a harmonium (keyboard instrument), guitar and drum.  I spoke to a couple of the devotees who were hanging around and was invited to their Kirtan the next day (today).  

With the possible exception of the Diamond Way Buddhists in Minneapolis, I have never met such a loving group of people.  It was my first time going to any kind of Hari Krishna event and I had no idea what to expect and was a little nervous about how many social, cultural, and religious protocols I would break.  In no time I was welcomed into their group and enjoyed a great evening of conversation, song, and the biggest vegetarian feast you could ever imagine.  It was without question one of my favorite events of my travels up to this point.

Back at the hostel that night I aborted plans to return to western Croatia to visit the Plitvice Lake National Park because of temps in the 40’s and 50’s with 80% chance of rain.  Instead, I am heading north as I type this.  Transport to Zagreb is locked down.  We’ll see if I can press on all the way to Graz, Austria before the night is up.


1 comment: