Saturday, January 12, 2013

Still Summer in Ulcinj, Montenegro

-->

OCTOBER 5, 2012

The road turned into a dirt road
By the turn around point of my morning run I knew Ulcinj would not be the quick overnight stop it was originally intended to be.  The water was too blue, the trails were just right, and the prices were all to cheap. 

and the dirt road turned into rocky single track

Throughout my travels, I maintained normal operation of the coaching business.  This time of year my number of clients drop and the clients still on board have very few races that require my extra attention.  Essentially, I can get my job done in about two work days per week.  I used to the next two days in town as work days, while sprinkling in a good bit of swimming, yoga, and trail running along the coast. 

The cabana on the right turned into my own yoga studio
This place appeared to have all the potential of a seaside tourist trap with vibrant night life.  Now, in October, the single track trail that followed the coastline south of town was empty for me to run, the protected bays were my own personal open water swimming pools, and seas front villas in the abandoned night clubs were my personal yoga studios.



Other travelers have described “getting stuck” for reasons other than logistics in a city they intended to visit only briefly.  This could easily been one of those cities for me.









My guest house was 20 euro per night and 50 meters from the ocean.

Another beach all to myself.  Who wants to spend a week on the beach when it only gets to 80 degrees everyday?

Stari Grad, or Old Town, up on the hill above the main beach


In the US we pay $1/ouch of pomegranate.  Here it is dying on the trees by the grove.



The evening prayers at the Mosque were heard in almost every city I traveled.

Random cat.  Sharing my table at the bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment